Baturay Yarkın was born in a family, full of generations of musicians. He resides in İstanbul, which had been a historical and cultural center of various civilizations.
When he was 6, he won first place in Istanbul University State Conservatory, Department of Classical Piano part time program. When he was 13, he trained with his teacher Meral Yapalı for European Young Pianists Competition and he came in 3rd place. He studied Turkish Music, Argentina Tango and Jazz Music during his education and after his graduation.
He joined Yarkın Turkish Rhythm Group with whom he accompanied national and international events during his high school days. He accompanied the band for an event organized for the cultural events of “2013 Turkish – China Year” at the Ministry of Cultural Affairs Symphony Orchestra in China. He gave a special concert at Aya Irini for the event “Ara Dinkjian and His Friends” in 2011. He improved his skills on playing with musicians who played fretless instruments during that time.
His tango and jazz passion took him to Rotterdam Conservatory, Codarts; where he expanded his knowledge in world & jazz music and collaborated with international musicians for the first time. He attended tango workshops of worldwide bands/musicians such as Color Tango, Los Reyes del Tango and Gustavo Beytelmann. He contributed to Şevval Sam’s 2013 album called “Tango”. He played Argentine tango songs in various concert halls in the Netherlands with the tango orchestra assembled by Leo Vervelde. He played at CRR at the “A New Year’s Concert from Louis Armstrong to Astor Piazzolla”. “Tangueros de Estambul” is the debut album of “TangEsta”, which was established by bandoneon player Ortaç Aydınoğlu, is also the first tango orchestra from Turkey which performed in any tango festival organized in Argentina.
After being admitted with a scholarship to BAU Jazz Institute in İstanbul, he played with his quartet as the young jazz artist at Istanbul Jazz Festival in 2014. In the following years, he attended Pulawy Jazz, New York Jazz, Eric Alexander, Greg Ozby and Barry Harris workshops. He represented Codarts at the “Pop and Jazz Platform, 2016 Rotterdam” event organized by the Association Européenne des Conservatoires. He performed on the major festival stages such as Akbank Jazz Festival and İstanbul Jazz Festival, important concert halls such as Borusan Music House, CRR, İş Sanat and Salon İKSV; also, worked with the prominent jazz musicians of Turkey. The hands of the artist were molded during the creation process of the sculptures with the slogan of ‘hands touching jazz’ for the 26th İstanbul Jazz Festival.
The artist worked with world-known musicians such as Sandeep Das, Wu Man and Shane Shanahan joining Silk Road’s (established by Yo YoMa) Global Musician Workshop with a scholarship in 2017. He gave special concerts in Milano as Silk Road Global Musician European Ambassador in 2017 and 2018. He was invited to the U.S.A. to perform as Yarkın Duo and give workshops by Silk Road’s GMW in 2018.
He and his sister, Nağme Yarkın decided to collaborate together, launched Yarkın Duo in 2016 and published their debut album One in 2017. Musicians interpret their compositions and arrangements based on their different accumulations which have important cultural backgrounds. They played together in several continents, interpreting their repertoire which consists of Argentine tangos, Turkish folk music, their compositions and improvisations. He represented Turkey with Yarkın Duo during 1. TURfest, Turkey Festival, in Croatia. The artist gave a special concert at 17. Boston Turkish Film Festival and Turkish Music Workshop at Berklee College of Music as part of the festival as Yarkın Duo. They held the opening concert of 1. Turquazz Anatolian Jazz & Roots Festival in London, England. Duo gave a live interviewat National TV Channel of Albania and took place at 10. Jazz in Albania Festival in Tirana
He gave 15 concerts with his band Baturay Yarkın Trio & Nağme Yarkın within his project The Colors of Anatolia, which combines Jazz and Turkish music and was sponsored by Republic of Turkey Ministry Culture and Tourism, in 15 universities in various cities in Turkey. The band, which pointed the importance of multicultural communication, performed in 21. İstanbul Jazz Festival, the prominent festivals in Monaco, France and The Netherlands continues to perform in Turkey and on abroad. The band also took part in 2018-19 concert program of Borusan Music House.
He worked with a myriad of musicians such as Sandeep Das, Wu Man, Derya Türkan, Erkan Oğur, Arto Tunçboyacıyan, Halil Karaduman, Yurdal Tokcan, Ara Dinkjian, Sokratis Sinopoulos, Mahala Rai Banda, Koçani Orkestar, Fahrettin Yarkın, Ferruh Yarkın and well-known jazz musicians from Turkey.
The artist, also a graduate of Marmara University, Department of Industrial Engineering, has completed his master’s thesis with “The examination of piano performance in tango music in terms of Carlos Di Sarli, Anibal Troilo and Horacio Salgan” at ITU Music Theory and Composition Department.
His six personal albums are available on music markets and digital platforms. He is currently teaching jazz piano & theory as lecturer in the Jazz Music department of İstanbul University State Conservatory during his Ph.D. studies.
- Istanbul University State Conservatory Proficiency in Art in Jazz Department (2018 – )
- Istanbul Technical University Music Theory and Composition Master (2013-2017)
- Codarts, Rotterdam / Jazz-Tango Piano Master (Erasmus Exchange Program) (2015-2016)
- Istanbul University State Conservatory Piano Department Bachelor (1998-2010)
- Marmara University Industrial Engineering (2009-2013)
- Baturay Yarkın – Hope (2021)
- Baturay Yarkın – Calm (2021)
- Baturay Yarkın – Quarantine (2021)
- Baturay Yarkın Trio & Nağme Yarkın – Autumn Leaves (Live) (2021)
- Işıl Kahraman – İç Hayata (2021)
- Işıl Kahraman – Hayali Katmanlar (2021)
- Işıl Kahraman – Ne Öyleyim Ne Böyleyim (2021)
- Yarkın Duo – Quintessence (2020)
- Yarkın Duo – Longing (Fire) (2020)
- Baturay Yarkın – Lost & Found (2020)
- Erkan Zeki Ar – Tecelli (2020)
- Burak Cihangirli – For One (2020)
- Baturay Yarkın – Breathe Once Again (2019)
- Dolunay Obruk – Entropi (2019)
- Baturay Yarkın Trio & Nağme Yarkın – The Colors of Anatolia (2019)
- Baha Yetkin – The Pearl (2019)
- Baturay Yarkın & Gürtuğ Gök – Blue Love (2018)
- Baturay Yarkın – Su (2018)
- Veys’s Jazzy World – Pirate Jenny (2018)
- Yarkın Duo – One (2017)
- Tangesta – Tangueros de Estambul (2017)
- Şevket Akıncı – Escher Chronicles (2017)
- Eli ft. Yarkın Duo – Waltz of the Moon (2017)
- Ali Rıza Kural – Sevdiklerimin Sevdikleri (2016)
- Smart Business – Make It Happen (2016)
- İsmail Birateş – Yahya Kemal & Nazım Hikmet (2015)
- Şevval Sam – Tango (2013)